Wednesday, October 17, 2007

"Keep those hopes in a box, but don't lock it."

I have written many blogs about hope, recently I have gained a new perspective. A few nights ago at work, I had my favorite section, the one where when people come in and eat by themselves they get put in that section. I like it because when people are alone, most of the time, they like to talk. There is one older man who comes in about once a week. I've gotten to know him a little and we always have good conversation whether it be regarding diabetes, pork chops, shopping or like a few nights ago, hope. I saw that he came in, knowing he would want 2 cornbread muffins, a roll, some honey and decaff coffee, I got those thing and went to greet him. He was surprised that I remembered what he liked, even though I have been his waitress at least 10 times. I asked him how he was doing, he said "oh, you know, I'm alive." I suppose that response does have a little less of an effect when you are in your 70's, but when he asked how I was I said the same thing. He looked at me surprised and said "of course you are! what's goin' on?" I said "oh just lots of stuff, hopefully it will get better soon..." His response: "keep those hopes in a box, but don't lock it." I left him to eat his pork chops, steamed veggies and cinnamon apples and didn't think about what he said until later that night. It's profound really, and I think something that I need to do.

Hope has taken me down some roads that I shouldn't have gone down. I guess if I was going to be technical I couldn't blame it completely on hope, but rather the decisions I have made because of the hope that I have felt. False hope. The way I see what he said is, don't let your hopes get the best of you, don't hope when it's false; but also don't lock away your hopes. It's a hard concept, especially for me. I get my hopes up quite frequently, and end up getting hurt. Maybe this is the solution.

I love how the Lord brings people into my life and blesses me through them. I love my job because of the people I get to meet and talk to. I love people who actually want to talk to me (and people who tip! :D).

We rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. Romans 5:1-4

Be blessed!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.