Wednesday, July 30, 2008

You may call me Monet

Last week I got a little bored, and someone told me about a 50% off sale that Hobby Lobby was having.
Hobby Lobby always has such good sales, I'm not sure what made this 50% off sale so exciting since they have one every other week, but I went anyway.

I was walking around looking at pretty things and dreaming of how my house someday could be decorated when I passed the paint section. This section has never before been a section of my desire, only a section of admiration and wishful thinking, but the little voice inside that usually says "golly, I wish I could paint" said "hey, you could totally paint! It might not look good, but who cares!"

So, I did it. I called Danielle for some paint advice and made my purchase. I also got some chalk board paint (which you can paint on a canvas to make it like a chalk board).

After a couple days of toiling over what to paint, how to paint, and wondering if this was going to be something that I would look back on and think "Now Allye, did you REALLY think you could paint. Now, come on", I finished painting.

And guess what! I'm pretty dern pleased. I'll admit that I am no natural born arteest, and I most definitely don't have the talent that can make someone say "oooo ahhh", but maybe "hey, that's kinda cute". I think that if I thought about someone saying "hey that's kinda cute" to something I painted before this experience, I would accuse them of lying or "being polite".*
Anyway, you can be the judge:

This is the "chalk board", I got this idea from Danielle, she has one in Jameson's room, minus the swirly green design.

I'm happy. I even might paint again someday.
Here's some art humor to brighten your day:
A guy in Paris robbed the Louvre, he got past security but got caught when his van ran out of gas. When asked how he could mastermind such a crime and then make such an obvious error, he replied: "I had no Monet to buy Degas to make the Van Gogh."

*I realized after writing this sentence that I have used a ton of quotation marks, and am not sure how grammatically correct that is. Also, I think it might make me look like a crazy person that talks to myself a lot. That may or may not be true.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, that's cute.

Kelsey said...

those are totally cute! i like them a lot. and funny joke!

lauren noel said...

very nice!