Friday, March 25, 2011

How my grandma made me cry


Life is full of moments. Sometimes those moments take you by surprise.
That happened to me one night during spring break.
A moment took me by surprise, left me holding back the tears, and searching for any words to say.
I was driving back to my grandparents house after celebrating my cousin Ryan's birthday party at my aunt's house. It was just my grandma (nama) and I in the car. And she was TALKING. I assure you that you have never met a lady that can chat more than this woman.
She loves. to. talk. Always has and probably always will. Her love of talking has increased since she started having some memory problems. Most of the time it's pretty entertaining and fun but for some reason that night I had just had enough.
I hate to say that I got impatient with her sweet little crazy soul, but I did.
I has resulted to "mmhmms" "yeahs" and head nods. I left the engaging, interested Allye at my aunts house.
That satisfied her though. She just kept on truckin'.
Ohhh the random things that come out of her mouth!
Something she said caught my attention though.
She said "boy! I am just SOOOOOO lucky" (if you have ever met my nam, you know that I am not exaggerating the SOOOOOOO because she looooves to carry ooooout her ooooooo's).
I asked her why she said that.
"Said what?" she asked.
"Why did you say that you're SOOOOO lucky, Nam?"
Then she proceeded to rock my world with a deepness that I didn't know she was still capable of.
She talked about how much she loves my grandad. She told me that he is her forever friend, forever love, forever everything.
Cue: lump in my throat, and welling up tears.
She went on to say "love like that makes every day better, no matter what happens in the day, he makes it better".
All I could do was drive, staring blankly at the road while trying not to blink because I knew the second my eyelid shut, the tears would come. I didn't want her to see me cry, because I knew it would confuse her.
I was thinking about how sweet and patient my grandad is with her. Even when she says the same thing or asks the same questions 50 times, he loves her and it's so evident.
He makes her days better.

She's right. She is lucky.
And I was reminded once more, so am I.
And that, my friends, is the story of how my nama made me cry.

1 comment:

Allie said...

"like it"