Friday, January 22, 2010

Haiti

Like almost everyone, I've been thinking about Haiti a lot. I've been sitting here for about 10 minutes, staring at my computer screen, and thinking about the awful destruction. So selfishly, all I can think to write is how it makes me feel. CNN has been playing a lot around our house, and honestly, I've wanted to turn it off several times because it breaks my heart. I can't even begin to comprehend the hurt that so many people are feeling right now. I'm praying for them, and my heart aches with them.

My roommate Lindsey is leaving tomorrow to go. A little piece of my world is colliding with this foreign, broken place that I've only experienced through news articles and Anderson Cooper. She works for a local organization Hope for the Hungry which has several several orphanages, schools and churches that they support. On her agenda is picking up orphans off the streets and taking them to the the main orphanage which miraculously was untouched by the earthquake. As I was talking through things with her tonight, I got goosebumps thinking about all she is going to experience. The precious, hurt kids she is going to hold and comfort. The death she is going to see and smell. The amazing destruction. I'm confident that the news cannot do it justice.

Please pray for Lindsey. For her safety, health, and especially emotional well being. If you haven't given already, consider giving to Hope for the Hungry. I can assure you that your money will be used for good.

No comments: