Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Tiniest hands, tiniest feet

Today blew my mind.

I saw a baby who didn't even weigh a pound. This little human was being supported by ventilators, and blood gas machines. This sweet teeny person had the tiniest hands, and tiniest feet. Her foot was 1/3 the size of my pinkie finger. I have small fingers. This little human, being supported by ventilators, and blood gas machines, with the tiniest hands, and tiniest feet was there not because her mom just happened to go into early labor, or because there were pregnancy complications. This sweet teeny person was there because her mom couldn't stop using drugs after she got pregnant. Looking at her, I got a lump in my throat. You know, that warning lump that says "you better not have worn mascara today, because it's about to be running down your cheek." Well, I held it together, thankfully. I've gotten better at holding it together. But I was angry for her, but at the same time I was grateful. Grateful because of the care she was receiving. There was a nurse whose only job was to take care of her, love her, nurture her, help her grow, keep her warm. That nurse is one of the first people to love that little baby. What a job.

Today blew my mind.
This semester may be pretty heart wrenching.

1 comment:

Monica said...

Get ready to be these little one's first encounter with the hands and feet of Jesus. Love you & praying for you.