Thursday, February 25, 2010

New Idea

Okay, before I even explain what this new idea is let me start off by saying that I may not live up to it.

Now that I've got that out there, here it is...
What's Cookin'?
It would kind of be like my "Saturday Love" posts (which, i promise will happen again very soon), but it will be a recipe I tried out that week. I have been wanting to cook more, and since my living arrangements next semester will limit my cooking opportunities to microwave only, I figured I should take advantage of that oven and stove while I can. Hopefully I can do this, I really really want to. Plus, I think Brooke will really like this.

I'll attempt to take pictures of the process, or at least the finished product. We'll see how this goes. :)

So, here's what was cookin' this week:

Taco Soup with tortilla crisps:
I got this recipe from a blog that I read, but I changed it up a bit to suit my roommates and I better.

-1 lb of ground beef
-1/2 yellow onion, diced
-garlic salt (not really sure how much, I just sprinkled it in)
-1 can of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
-1 can of pinto beans, rinsed and drained
-frozen corn (probably about 1 1/2 cups)
-2 cans of diced tomatoes
-1 can of diced green chilies
-1 taco seasoning package
-1 package of ranch salad dressing mix

And here's how you do it:
I cooked it in a crock pot, but I'm sure you could do it on the stove.
Brown the ground beef, and mix in the taco seasoning, onion and garlic salt. Dump your taco seasoned, onion, and garlicky ground beef into the crock pot and then add everything else, putting the ranch dressing packet in last. Stir well. Yeah, it's THAT difficult...you can do it though!
It should cook for a while. I let it simmer for 3 hours while we played in the snow, but I bet 2 hours would have been great.

The tortilla crisps (even more challenging, let me tell ya):
Heat the oven to 400. Cut some corn tortillas into strips, spray a cookie sheet fairly heavily with cooking spray and place the tortilla strips on it. Spray the strips with cooking spray and season with salt. Cook for 5-7 minutes, or until golden brown. I didn't cook the first batch long enough and they were a little bit chewy, but still good!


I also put a little cheese on top of my bowl of soup, and it was yummy!
It was the PERFECT snow day meal.
Let me know what you think about this new idea.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

I LOVE IT! I might even copy you! :)

Allie said...

yummm it made my tummy happy.

Monica said...

One more reason to follow your blog.