Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Story time

I was reminded of this story while perusing facebook this afternoon.

My cousin Alex and I basically grew up like sisters. We were together constantly. At times best friends and at other times worst enemies. Alex and I have very different personalities. She is very dramatic, cautious, and girly. I, on the other hand as a kid was very carefree, adventurous (taking way too many risks), and the opposite of girly. Together though, we were both SO imaginative, which got us into a lot of trouble.
Our grandparents used to take us on a trip to the Big Bend area every summer. It was our favorite time of year. We would listen to our walkmans and sing loudly in the car. Alex would demand that our granddad choose who was the best singer. He would pretend to not hear us, and our grandma would say over and over again "you both are WONNDERFFULL" (or something to that extent). I would climb really tall rocks, and spend hours trying to convince Alex to follow me. Her cautious (smart) side would usually force me to go play with her on the ground.
One day we were eating at a restaurant in a town outside of the park. Our grilled cheeses were taking too long so we decided to play on (ride) the pig statues in the garden. While on some wild adventure on our stone pigs, I saw a baby bird in the bush.
Side note:I haven't mentioned yet how much of a animal lover I was back in the day. I literally had every breed of dog memorized, probably had about 20 books about horses, and my favorite channel was the animal channel.
So of course seeing a baby bird all alone in the bushes was very concerning to me. I ran over probably exclaiming something like "OHH NO! We have to rescue it!" Alex decided it was too dirty to touch with our hands, and plus, it could bite us! So we found a stick and began poking at it. It was pretty unresponsive, and fearing the worst, I decided to nudge it hard with the stick. Thats when it flew into the patio of the restaurant into a lady's hair. She freaked out. And when I say freaked out, I mean it. She stood up screaming, started jumping around and hitting her head while her husband waved a napkin at her head and her children sat there shocked and confused.
We ran away. fast. So I'm not really sure what became of the baby bird we "rescued" from the bush. But I'm pretty sure that poor lady will never forget.


1 comment:

Allie said...

i love child allye stories