Thursday, October 28, 2010

A good day

Yesterday was an awesome exhausting day. I worked on the ICU step down unit (where patients go after they are well enough to get out of the ICU, but still not well enough to go to a regular MedSurg floor, or home).
It was a unique day because I didn't have any of my classmates with me, they were all on other floors.
It was scary riding the elevator to the third floor waving goodbye to my friends, my comfort, and then riding up three more floors alone.
I wanted the elevator to keep going, up or down, I didn't care. I just did not want to face the day alone.
Well, the elevator didn't keep going. It stopped. The computerized voice echoed "6th floor". I took a deep breath and slowly walked toward the unit that would change my attitude of this semester.
You see, this semester I have not been sure that I am doing the right thing. With almost every class, every test, every clinical day I have wondered "why am i doing this?". That's not a good thing to wonder when you're in a bunch of debt for a great nursing education.
Yesterday though, I remembered. And oh, it felt so good.
The unit was understaffed and the nurse I was supposed to shadow was very overwhelmed. She immediately handed me two patient's charts and said "They are yours. Let me know if you need anything". My heart raced, I think I started sweating. I was scared. What if I messed up? What if I gave someone the wrong medication? AHHHHHH.
After the initial fear wore off, I took off. And it was SO fun. I felt like a real nurse. My patients were great. One even got to go home, so I got a new one. I did the admit all by myself.
The day got crazy and stressful at many moments, but that's how it goes. Being a nurse is sometimes crazy and stressful.
I liked it.
My instructor came up to check on me at one point when I was charting and she said "how do you feel?" I said "like a nurse." She smiled and so did I.
It was such a good day.
My legs are sore today from all the running around, and I love it.
A little more than 6 months and I'll hopefully be feeling that way every day.
Yay.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love you and am so very proud of you. See you in a couple of weeks.