Monday, October 25, 2010

What a whirlwind week it was!
I felt like shutting down after my psych test on Tuesday. That class is so challenging for me. Well, so is everything else this semester, it seems. I don't know what the deal is.
I couldn't shut down. At all. In fact, I didn't get to bed until after 1am Tuesday night which completely defeats the purpose of me changing my RA duty night to Mondays.
I woke up extra early on Wednesday because I was so nervous about my first day in ICU. And just in case you're wondering what extra early means--4am. Well 3:50am to be exact, but that's just getting too technical.
Anyway, I was on the Surgical intensive care unit and it was intense care for sure (by the way, I am so exhausted that I just spelled for "f-u-r", stared at it thinking "that does not look right" and finally figured out what was wrong about 20 seconds later). Horrible spelling aside, besides the crazy about of butterflies and a random case of VERY congested ears on my part, it was a good day. Let me just tell you, the ICU is not a good place to have fluid filled ears. All the dinging of alarms and IV machines was echoing and driving me cray cray.
I don't think I'm made for the ICU. I was nervous all day. It could be because of many things: unfamiliar environment, dizziness because of the congested ears (i was SO worried I was going to have another J1 fainting experience), ventilators (they scare me big time), and just really sick patients. I also feel so inexperienced in that environment. Almost stupid even. It's all feels way over my head. I guess that means that I have a lot to learn. If I can get over feeling so uninformed and worrying about someone dying on me.

This is what happens when I am tired...I rant. I could keep going too...and I'm going to!

After 12 hours at the hospital I started my journey to New Orleans. Oh man, it was so good to be with Andrew. We had a pretty laid back, relaxing visit. Watched It's Kind of a Funny Story (very cute...it was hard not to over analyze how unrealistic everything was since I just got done with my psych rotation), Son of Rambow (very cute and funny...made me want to adopt lots of little british boys), Willow (Andrew could not believe I had never seen it. You may be wondering how we ended up talking about Willow and I honestly don't know. I think he was talking in a goat voice or something else totally normal), Real World New Orleans (we maybe should be ashamed that we watched over 4 hours of it this weekend, but it is incredibly intriguing to watch the insane amount of stupidity, and also see cool places that we know of in NOLA), and also some football. We ate at my favorite restaurants and went to the zoo. Walked around the quarter and by the river. Saw a hobo fight, stepping in what I think may have been urine, nearly got tripped by a hobo, and saw plenty of other interesting sights. That is one thing you can always count on in New Olreans. Interesting sights.

Alright, well I have definitely typed too much. Here's the only picture I took this weekend: Andrew in Cafe du monde.


No comments: