Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Memory Lane


Robyn and I hung out last night. While we were enjoying some of Rosa's amazing fine dining, and scrumptious sopaipillas (totally had to google that to figure out how to spell it) we started talking about Costa Rica.
We've only talked about Costa Rica once since we've gotten back, and it was when we were telling other people stories.
It is so fun to relive good memories with the person you made them with.
I wanted to post a few of the memories that I had already forgotten so I never ever ever forget. Or at least if I do forget I can come back and read this post and remember all over again.

I want to remember:

How we tried to be smart the entire trip. Spent more money than we wanted to the first night so we could lay down in a safe place for 3 hours instead of being on the streets of San Jose, refused rides from strange men (even though we walked miles every day just to get food, and a ride would have been quite nice), didn't go dancing with other strange men, bought bottled water, etc, etc. Except the ONE time we were stupid it had to do with a creepy man asking us if we had any candy. Seriously? That's like the number one thing we are taught as children; stay away from strangers...especially when they are talking about candy. This cracked me up when I put it together last night.

Robyn said one of the scariest moments for her was watching me in the ocean when the waves were really rough. We tried to not go at this time of the day, but we slept in really late one day and had to get some beach time in. Robyn was smart and stayed on the beach, but I thought I was tough enough to battle the waves. Apparently it looked like I was going to drown. She said she would see my head for a second and think "ohh good she's okay" then another wave would come and sweep me away again. I think I felt in control most of the time. I have to admit that there were a few panicky moments, but for the most part I knew I was going to make it. :)

That the guy who ran the hostel in San Jose uncannily resembled Barack Obama.

How we spent almost 3 days total in Mexico City out of our 8 day trip...not on purpose.

When we were on our way back to San Jose our bus broke down on top of a mountain, people were scurrying, getting off, and talking in spanish way too fast for us to understand. Robyn and I sat quietly looking around at the chaos, then a surfer who spoke english looked at us and said "get off the bus, another one is coming". Well, another one came, but we didn't make the cut. So we waited for another bus. It came, it was crowded, and hot, and there were not two seats together. It eventually dropped us off in this shady neighborhood in San Jose were we quickly got off, found our packs, and began walking down the alley of this shady neighborhood. Robyn found a red car (which are normally taxis in Costa Rica...but you really never know) and handed the guy the address to our hostel. Every time we got in a car we were uncertain if we would make it out of that car. We made it to our hostel, and then went to eat at Quiznos where Robyn amazed me with her spanish sandwich ordering skills.

We decided last night that we want to take our families there some day, and show them the beauty of the place where our wildest adventure happened.

1 comment:

robyn said...

I love it and miss it so much!